“Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”- Lucille Ball
Hey guys! In light of mental health awareness week that took place in the UK 14th – 20th May and Mental Health Awareness Month which is the whole of May (US time). I have decided that my first official post will focus on a few quick tips which will hopefully help you to increase your self-love and general mental wellbeing. I use these techniques myself and they have helped me greatly and I hope it helps you too!
♡Update 10/10/2018♡- It’s World Mental Health Day Today!!
World Mental Health Day is held on the 10th of October every year, with the aim of raising awareness of mental health issues around the world, as well as promoting the support of better mental health. It is an initiative created by the World Health Organization (WHO). I’ve made sure to update the post, adding links so that it is easier to navigate to resources. If you would like any additional advice in regards to support available and recourses feel free to get in contact.
– I recently took part in a 5K sponsored walk through Regent’s Park on Sunday 23rd September in aid of raising money for ‘Rethink Mental Illness‘, a charity which focuses on supporting those who are severely affected by mental illnesses by challenging attitudes and changing lives. If you are interested in supporting my fundraising feel free to check out the link below!
Tips to improve mental wellbeing
- Positive affirmations & gratitude- We can easily create a negative thought process by talking down on ourselves which in turn can affect or mood and productivity. It is therefore important to break the cycle and habit of negative self-talk, as it is often harder to achieve a goal whilst applying a negative mindset. One of the ways I try to maintain a positive outlook is by regularly journaling into my gratitude diary. There are loads of different types of gratitude journals to choose from, so I definitely recommend shopping around to see which one suits you best. I personally, use the 5 Minute Journal (will include the link at the end of the post so you can check it out). Research conducted at the Greater Good Science Center at “University of California, Berkeley” and “University of California, Davis” found that a higher level of gratefulness can lead to a higher degree of positive emotions as well as more joy, optimism, and happiness.
The journal starts off each day with a positive quote. It then gives you a number of questions in the morning to help you to reflect on the day ahead as well as to consider what you are grateful for and set a daily personalised affirmational phrase for yourself.T here are a few questions to answer in the evening to note your progress within the day and reflect on what will help to make tomorrow better. There are also fun activities dotted around the journal to help you to be more proactive with your pursuit of positivity. I am a fan of positive quotes so love when I get to open it each day and get an instant inspirational boost.
– Do let me know if you get the journal and if you find it helpful !
- 5 Minute Journal- https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/paper/the-five-minute-journal/9780991846207-item.html
2. Get H-Appy – There is a wide range of apps you can download from Apple/Android straight onto your phone, which helps to promote mental health and wellbeing. One of the apps I’m using at the moment is ‘Think UP’. The app is an interactive way to listen to positive affirmations. You are given the option to record your own or listen to pre-recorded ones. The app records your progress so that you can reflect on the improvements you are making over time in regards to banishing negative self-talk. It sends you regular notifications to listen to your affirmations, which helps to train your brain to focus on positive thoughts throughout the day.
-Also, If you like reading positive quotes and looking at nice landscapes as much as I do, download the Momentum desktop app from Google Chrome. One of my friends, (Hey Sarah!) recently recommended it to me and I fell in love straight away! It changes your home web browser page to a positive goal setting haven.
- Momentum App : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/momentum/laookkfknpbbblfpciffpaejjkokdgca?hl=en
- Don’t take anything personally- This is one thing I used to struggle with as I can be quite an emotive and passionate person, especially with things I strongly believe in. I put my whole heart and soul into everything I do, so would previously feel down when I feel that someone may not reciprocate my efforts. I’d feel it in my chest (literally lol). But one thing I’ve realized over time is some people just don’t think the same way you do and that’s fine because ultimately nothing someone does is ever because of you. People form their behaviors due to their own lived experiences. Some people may not understand your perspective because they just have not had the same experiences as you and therefore do not have a similar mindset. Take life with a pinch of salt, learn to let go and let bygones be bygones. You’ll be feeling more peaceful in no time.
- Celebrate each and every victory! – Did you get some tasks done on your to-do list today? Well done you!! , Did you stick to your routine or at least try to? Fantastic! No matter how small and insignificant you think your tasks and goals may be, they’re all stepping stones towards you progress, so celebrate them!
One day you’ll look back and realize that everything you’ve ever done and every experience, good or bad in your life has helped to mold you into the amazing person you are today and will be tomorrow. So make sure to celebrate every time you overcome and succeed in something. There is no one and I repeat no one, who will ever cheer and love you as much you can cheer and love yourself.
You know exactly the pain of every sacrifice and the amount of effort you put in to achieve your goals, so make sure to celebrate yourself!
Whether it is at home pampering session or going to the spa etc. find something you enjoy and go ahead and appreciate yourself for your achievements as it’s all about progress! You are doing great, keep going!
- Give it time but be proactive. – I could go on with tips but I want to keep the post short and sweet so I’ll end it with this. With everything in life, there is a time and duration that needs to be completed in order for something to reach its optimum fruition. There is a season for everything. Don’t worry about the time it takes you to do something. The time will pass anyway. Focus on the journey. Everything will naturally fall into place at the right time. Trust the process. However, make sure to be proactive in improving your mental wellbeing. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your friends, family or counselors. Surround yourself with positive people who remind you of how great you are.
Get active. Walk, run, jog or dance! Exercise is a proven mood booster! Also, try and eat as healthy as you can and you’ll be on your way towards better physical and mental health. Never stop trying to be the best version of yourself. Life is full of trial and error, but you’ll get there in the end if you keep going!
- and remember without a test there can’t be a testimony!
‘Consider it pure joy, my brothers, and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.’ – James 1:2-4
Wishing you lots of love, light, and progress!
Bye for now ♡